by Tracy at Jesus-is-Lord.com
"If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds." —2nd JOHN 10-11
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Why talk about cults?
We are continually warned in the Bible to have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness. The cults fall into the category of darkness. Cults are leading people astray into lies, deceit, confusion and ultimately hell. According to our theme verse, we are not even supposed to say, "God bless you" to cult members lest we be partakers of their evil deeds. We can tell cultists about the Lord, but if they don't want to hear and persist in their cult activities, we are to have no fellowship with them. Today's "Christianity" says, "Just love everybody and try to impress them with your life. After all, we all believe the same 'essentials'." The Lord says:
"But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat." —1st Corinthians 5:11
In this and other verses, the Bible says to mark those that cause division--not embrace them.
This page has multiple purposes:
- warn the saints, cult members and potential cult members of false doctrines
- equip saints to effectively witness to cult members and sympathizers
- equip saints to identify cult members from a few words of conversation
Satan has filled this world with "Christian" cults and wrong doctrines in order to see people cast in hell fire. He (1) deceives the simple and (2) appeals to the prideful who want a "customized" religion that fits in with their belief system. Cults also offer something, "new" which in this world is tantamount to better. But God said, "I change not". So when someone brings me a "new thing" I am wary and really seek the Lord about it.
Witnessing to the Cultist
I've met people from a number of cults and all of them had been brainwashed by their religious leaders. You must be in prayer the whole time you are talking to them, because the spirits that have control over them must be quieted in order for them to hear what you are saying. The cult member has been told the same lies so many times that he believes they are true. He's been told that his group is the only one that has the truth. He has been told that the world considers his group a cult. He has been told that disciples of Jesus had to undergo the same persecution he does. You are talking to a person that thinks they are right.
The biggest weapon you've got is the word of God. It punches holes in every cult argument. The Bible is the only offensive weapon listed in the whole armour of God in Ephesians 6. NOTHING can replace an intimate knowledge of the authorized King James Bible. Believe it or not, I've met cultists who have been specifically told NOT to read the authorized King James version of the Bible. This is personal experience. Dear reader, I'm not straining at a gnat on the AKJV issue.
One time I was making some good headway with a Jehovah's Witness cult member. The Holy Ghost was moving heavily and I could see that some light was getting through, but our time expired and she had to go back to work because her lunch hour was up. She said she'd like to get together again. I told her that if she told any of her members that they'd tell her not to talk to me again. "Oh, I'm just going to tell my husband." That was the last I saw of her. I just have to pray and trust that God will take whatever occurred that day and work it out to His glory--His word will not return unto Him void, but will accomplish the thing that He pleases.
Cults have a tendency to change their names, but their evil deeds remain. They'll try to tell you that their "official publications" speak for them, not the writings of their founders and prominent leaders. If you're not sure if an organization is a cult, do these three things:
- Take a look at their founder. Good don't come out of evil. Jesus said an evil tree cannot bear good fruit and this is true for cults.
- Ask yourself, "Who do they say Jesus is?"
- Ask yourself, "How do they say we must be saved?"
The following is a starting list of cults and some of their distinguishing false beliefs (please keep in mind that whole books can be written on these cults--these are therefore cursory descriptions). As the Lord leads, we'll add others. Links are in all capitals.
Children of God/ The Family/ The Family International
Christian Science/The Church of Christ Scientist
Mormon/The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
WORLDWIDE CHURCH OF GOD
"BIBLE-BASED" CULTS (including groups like the "Garbage Eaters")
CHRISTADELPHIAN, I CHRISTADELPHIAN, II CHRISTADELPHIAN, III
BOSTON CHURCH OF CHRIST and THE CHURCH OF CHRIST
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Cult name: The Children of God (C.O.G.)/The Family International
Founder: Moses David Berg, organized 1968
Overview: Don't be fooled by this one. They've adopted a more clean-cut appearance. They even performed in the white house in 1992. I was in a salon one day when a bunch of nice looking, college-aged kids came in and said, "We're the Family and we'd like to sing a song for you." They played the guitar, sang and passed out some coloring sheets and solicited funds. It took all of about 1.5 minutes and they were out the door. I didn't give them anything and thought that they might be C.O.G. I recently got confirmation when I viewed a documentary on cults.
C.O.G. appealed to the hippie generation with its message of "free" love and singing all in the name of Jesus. They are called the original Jesus "freaks." Wikipedia.com has much resource information documenting this diabolical perverted sex-cult. Bisexuality is permitted amongst women. Fornication is encouraged as "sacrificial sex" within the organization. Don't belief the spin, The Family International is a false religion which exploits the Gospel.
1. Flirty fishing: Practice of religious prostitution. Founder Berg bases it on Jesus' statement, "I will make you fishers of men". He says that any means is acceptable to bring people into "the kingdom of God"--including having sex with them.
2. Child sex. Publish child pornography in their cult publications.
3. As with many cults, much missionary zeal in America and abroad.
4. Their children don't always go to main stream schools.
5. Charges dismissed in Argentina of child abuse and slavery.
6. Mind control over members.
The Family International EXPOSED!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Cult name: Jehovah's Witness/Russellism
Founder: Charles Taze Russell, organized 1880
Overview: He sold his Men's Furnishing Store and set out to condemn the translators of the Bible and ministers for what they taught. He taught that the church belongs to the ecclesiastical wing of Satan's organization. He condemns the teaching of the church of all ages--only the JW's supposedly know the truth. (But Christ said that He would build His church and that the gates of hell shall not prevail against it)
They are quite "friendly" and hold regular "Bible" studies and meetings which probably appeals to many.
1. Jesus did not rise from the dead. Russell says His body either dissolved into gases or is still preserved somewhere. (Everything a Christian believes hangs on this one fact. Paul says, "If Christ be not risen, your faith is vain.")
2. God is not triune, i.e., Father, Son, and Holy Ghost (I John 5:7 says that there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Ghost and these three are ONE).
3. No such thing as a hell of everlasting torment. Hell is just the grave. The wicked are simply annihilated. (See our article on hell for verses on hell)
4. Man has no spirit.
5. The Holy Ghost is not a person of the Godhead, just a "life force" of God. (yet He is called God in the Bible and is recorded speaking and commanding)
6. Mind control over members.
7. Man must work to be part of "God's system of things". I guess that refers to life in the hereafter but it certainly is not a Bible phrase. (the Bible says, "For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast.")
8. 144,000 will live in heaven with God. (they take the 144,000 in Revelation out of context)
9. Fascination with 1) not taking blood transfusions, 2) knocking on doors (they say that's they way Jesus usually shared. No He didn't. The multitudes flocked to Him.), 3) calling God by His "personal name", Jehovah.
10. All dead people will have a second chance for eternal life at the millennium. If you do not prove worthiness at this time, you'll be destroyed. (the Bible says that it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment. no second chances)
11. The blood of Christ does not forgive sins, it gives us a "chance" to live again. They have NO assurance of salvation as JWs who supposedly know the truth. (The Bible says the blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth us from all sin. Common sense question--Why would God send His Son to die if there was another way to be saved?)
12. Jesus is the archangel Michael--a created being. (John 1:1, 14 says that Jesus is the Word who was in the beginning with God and was God. The Bible also says, "God was manifest in the flesh.")
13. Jesus is just an agent of God, nothing more.
14. Said Jesus' second coming occurred invisibly in 1874. Russell's successor, Rutherford, says this was confirmed by the creation of the first labor organization in 1874. (But the Bible says every eye will see Him. Utter nonsense.)
15. Russell said that in 1914 the millennium would occur and righteousness would be restored to the earth. As 1914 approached, he, and his successor, changed the date to 1915, 1916, 1924, 1928, and on and on to the present day! When you ask a JW about this, they'll give you the party line, "Well, the Watch Tower is reaching different levels of enlightenment." (If JWs believed the Bible, they'd know Russell was a false prophet. Deuteronomy 18:22 says, "When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken..."
16. They have many publications with interesting titles like, "Where are the Dead", "To Hell and Back Again", "Millions now living shall never die." They have slick, attractive pictures and topics. But many people do not stop to consider if these things are true and in accordance with the Bible. They pass 'em out everywhere.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Cult name: Roman Catholicism
Founder: Emperor Constantine, organized in early 300's A.D.
Overview: The largest, most respected cult in the world. But God don't respect it. It centers around the worship of a pagan goddess which has been renamed Mary and a cracker god named Jesus.
Cult Tenets/Characteristics: See The Catholic "Church" is not Christian which is on this website. You may also go to our home page and peruse our section on Catholicism.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Cult name: Christian Science/The Church of Christ Scientist
Founder: Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy, organized 1879
Overview: Let's start with a quote from founder Eddy that says it all. She wrote to Judge S.J. Hanna: "I have marveled at the press and pulpit's patience with me, when I have taken away their Lord."
This cult is founded on Mrs. Eddy's book, "Science and Health (with Key to the Scriptures)" the last part of the title was added later. She claims to have received divine revelation in writing this book (but as you'll see below, they don't believe in a personal God--how could she then get divine revelation? She did--it was from the god of this world, Satan).
The following quote from Eddy sums up the foundation for this cult, "In the year 1866 I discovered the Science of metaphysical healing, and named it Christian Science." Mrs. Eddy simply took eastern mysticism (e.g., Hinduism) and pantheism (all is God) and called it Christian Science.
These tenets are so self-evidently ludicrous that I didn't put many scripture verses behind them.
1. There is no such thing as sin. It is an illusion.
2. There is no such thing as sickness. It is an illusion.
3. Sick people must be convinced that they are not sick. Then they will get well. (funny, Eddy went to the doctor when she had a toothache and had the nerve to get anesthesia)
4. There is no such thing as death. A person gets old and dies because they believe that is what is supposed to happen.
5. Their god is not the personal God of the Bible. Everything is god and god is good. Therefore there is no sin, disease, or death because all is god and god is good. The whole universe is falsehood--an illusion.
6. Claim that there is healing from Christian Science. Their method of healing is denying the disease itself, e.g., "I am not sick. I do not have cancer." This is not prayer. It is simply talking out loud to yourself. In fact, Christian Science says that prayer to a personal God is a hindrance. So...they stand babbling to themselves.
7. CS claims many cases of reported healings. Dr. Stephen Paget, who made a thorough study of a number of these reported cures concludes, "The vast majority of their testimonials are not worth the paper on which they are printed." He found no cases that are a credit to Christian Science. But he did find that many a curable disease under their treatment runs from bad to worse till no remedy avails any more.
8. CS claims to be a Christian church and sings evangelical hymns and reads the Bible--HOWEVER, the read the Bible in light of "Science and Health". Examples of blasphemy: Jesus did not die because there is no death. Man is not made of the dust of the earth as in Genesis 2 because matter doesn't exist--therefore Mrs. Eddy calls Genesis 2, "a lie". They take her word over the Bible.
9. Jesus not God. He was the highest human concept of the perfect man, but not to be worshipped.
10. Jesus never died. Death does not exist. He just thought He was dead.
11. Blood of Jesus has no atoning value and since sin is an illusion we are not guilty.
12. Salvation is deliverance from delusion and entrance into Christian Science.
13. Jesus was never tempted by the devil. Eddy says, "He was tempted by the false beliefs in His own mind." (Big words for a creature made of dust whose days are like a vapor of smoke.)
14. Women can become mothers by a supreme effort of their own minds.
15. CS set themselves against a meeting by Alexander Dowie in New York and began their style of prayer--"This is not truth; this is error; this cannot be; this must not be; this shall not be;" (My question is this. If there is no sin, how can there be error?)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Cult name: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints/Mormons
Founder: Joseph Smith, Jr., organized April 6, 1830
Overview: Smith claimed that he had seen and conversed with God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. (But the Bible says it would kill a man to see God). There are about 2.5 million Mormons today and because of their missionary zeal it is one of the fastest growing churches in the world. I've noticed several Mormon commercials of late and one of our church teens asked me about it. Her mother was going to send off for the free Book of Mormon. The young lady talked about how it seemed Christian, but she wanted to make sure. Praise Jesus that He guides the young people to ask questions.
A few years ago, a couple of neatly dressed Mormon young men approached me at an ATM machine as I waited in line. The conversation went something like this:
Mormons: "Do you know God?"
"Yes, I do. I love Jesus." I looked at their Latter-Day Saints name tags.
"That's good. We'd like to talk to you about God."
"Do you believe in Jesus?"
"Yes, we believe Jesus is the Son of God."
"Aren't you Mormons?" They looked a little uncomfortable when I said that.
"Uh, yes. We hold here the other part of the Bible." They showed me the Book of Mormon.
"What does that book tell me that the Bible doesn't tell me?"
"How to run a church."
"The Bible tells me how to do that."
"How to be baptized."
"The Bible tells me how to do that."
"Well, this book tells about the sons of Joseph on the North American Continent..." They went on for a while and I listened. When they paused, I cut in.
"Don't you believe that God lives on a planet with spiritual wives making babies?" Complete silence. They looked at each other. I didn't let them off the hook, I stood there awaiting an answer. After about 30 seconds...
"Well, uh," shrugging shoulders, "yeah but...We'd like to invite you to one of our meetings."
"If I came to your meeting, would you let me show you the truth from the Bible?"
"We already know the truth." By this time I'd gotten my money.
"Well, the Bible tells me that if any man that claims to be a brother be an idolater or a fornicator with such an one no not eat. I'm afraid that we cannot have any fellowship." At that I walked away.
1. Bible inferior to the Book of Mormon because of great and universal apostasy. So many "plain and precious things" were removed from the Bible and have to be corrected by modern-day revelation. Orson Pratt, an early Mormon apostle said, "Who knows that even one verse of the whole Bible has escaped pollution?" (is this not what publisher's of new bible versions say? we have "better" manuscripts?) Mormons belittle the Bible because their beliefs and practices are totally inconsistent with it.
2. God was once a man. (The Bible says that God is not a man. He is a Spirit.). Mormon males think that one day they will be a god JUST LIKE God the Father. A Mormon reader wrote me and I asked him if he thought he would be a god one day and he said yes (If I were to talk with a Mormon male today, that would be the first question I'd ask--"Don't you believe that you will be a god one day?" When he said "Yes, I believe that," I'd say...
Thank you for answering my question. The Mormons do offer the King James Bible on their commercials so I'm sure you'll have no objections to me quoting from it...does the God of the Bible say that there are many gods?
Isaiah 43:10 ...before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
Isaiah 44:6 ...I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
Isaiah 44:8 ...Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.
Isaiah 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me...
Isaiah 45:6 ...there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
Isaiah 45:21 ...there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
Isaiah 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
Isaiah 46:9 ...I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
Deuteronomy 32:39 See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.
3. God has a physical body with which He cohabits with wives, having spiritual children which are born on this earth as human beings. God and Mary had physical relations--she was His wife (Orson Pratt, The See, p. 158).
Black people are angels that did not fight valiantly in the war in heaven --that's why they are Black. In a letter dated 7-17-47, the first Presidency reaffirmed its historic policy concerning black people, "From the days of the prophet Joseph even until now... Negroes are not entitled to the full blessings of the Gospel. " (The Bible says God is no respecter of persons)
4. All who enter the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom (the 3rd heaven of Mormon theology) will progress to godhood and be able to create their own worlds, people them via polygamy, redeem them and even provide an Adversary to test them.
5. The Book of Mormon is divinely inspired. In actuality, it appears to be a copycat of "View of the Hebrews" which was written in 1823. Brigham H. Roberts once compiled similarities between the two books and asked this un-Mormon question, "Could all this have supplied structural work for the Book of Mormon?" (the Rocky Mountain Mason, January 1956) Smith's own mother said that the boy had always been interested in the ancient inhabitants of the American continent--their dress, mode of traveling, animals, cities, buildings, and religious worship. She said he would tell stories about them, "with much ease, seemingly, as if he had spent his whole life with them." (Biographical Sketches, pp. 84-85) The Book of Mormon is all about this continent and is consistent with Joseph Smith's youthful imaginations.
6. There are many "Gods". The main God for earth is Elohim. Orson Pratt wrote, "If we should take a million of worlds like this and number their particles, we should find that there are more God's than there are particles of matter in those worlds." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 2, p. 345) (But God says in Isaiah 43:10, "...before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.")
7. "Man is king of kings and lord of lords in embryo." (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 9, p. 305) (but the Bible says that Jesus is King of Kings and Lord of Lords.)
8. Man suffered little from Adam's fall. Adam's expulsion necessary for upward ascent. (But the Bible says that Adam's transgression had disastrous effects. The whole creation was thrown into turmoil. In Adam all die.)
9. Deny effects of original sin and replace it with the doctrine of "original innocence"--man can commit sins, but he is not sinful by nature. (but the Bible says, "But I was shapen in iniquity") The book of Mormon presents sin as bad, however Smith had little regard for the Bible or the Book of Mormon.
10. Salvation consists of (1) belief in Jesus--not emphasized (2) belief in prophetic calling of Joseph Smith and his successors (3) belief in cardinal doctrines of Mormonism with emphasis on a) temple work--baptism for the dead and eternal marriage b) the Word of Wisdom (a dietary law forbidding the use of tobacco, intoxicants, coffee, and tea) and c) salvation by works--they'll quote James 2:14-26 (Catholics do too)--the answer: if a person has saving faith, good works will come forth.
11. Jesus is only our elder brother and one day we will be like Him is every respect physically, in intellect, attributes or powers (Parley Prate, Key to the Science of Theology 1948 ed., p. 39)
12. Jesus was not begotten by the Holy Ghost. God had relations with Mary.
13. Jesus is no more divine than any of us before His incarnation. (See John 1:1, 14 says Jesus is God) They say He was married, had children, and was crucified for His polygamy. (More blasphemy--Lord have mercy). Mormons are infamous for their polygamy although they don't officially teach it any more.
One former Mormon testifies, "At one point, a lesson was being taught in our adult Sunday School class about polygamy -- not only its early existence in the church but how God outlawed it by revelation. My husband raised his hand and asked, "When in the history of God's people has He ever changed a law to bow to political pressure?" The teacher sputtered and asked, "Why do you ask that? Why do you ask that?" Steve was nearly ostracized for a while after that."
They believe that God is literally a polygamist living on a planet making spiritual babies with spiritual wives. Former Mormon, Suzanne says, "I grew up being taught about the pre-existance of our spirits as literal offspring of God the Father and how if we went to the celestial kingdom we could become gods and goddesses and have our own spirit children to people worlds." http://www.nevia.net/~wchall/stories.htm
14. Jesus' crucifixion was only the nullification of Adam's fall. Now we can work our way into heaven. (but the Bible says, not by our righteousness but according to His mercy He hath saved us.)
15. All men, except those who have out-and-out rejected Mormonism in this life, will be given a second chance in the world to come. (But the Bible says that this life is the time for decision. After death comes judgment.)
16. The 1833 edition of "Doctrine and Covenants" talks about the gift of God called working with the rod--this is a divining rod. This was changed in the 1835 edition with Joseph Smith later observing that a divining rod would hardly be a proper gift from God (divination is witchcraft).
17. One Mormon wrote and told me that Jesus atoned for our sins in the garden of Gethsemane, not on the cross. This was confirmed by a Mormon quote-- "In the Garden of Gethsemane, Christ suffered for the sins of all mankind, thus opening the way for all of us to repent and free ourselves from the bondage of sin." (Ensign Magazine, April, 1981, page 19, see caption.) That's in an article by Elder Lund and it's called "Salvation by Grace or By Works."
18. Former Mormon quotes:
One former Mormon, Suzanne, says, "I learned that God was once a man, and that it was because of the principle of eternal progression that we could become gods like him. I also learned I had a Mother in Heaven somewhere along the way -- whether I learned this as a child or an adult, I don't know. I learned that the Book of Mormon was the word of God and that the Bible was so far as it was translated correctly."
Another former Mormon, Evelyn, says, "...Mormons claim to be Christians, to agree with the Bible and Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, this is a masquerade! Mormons are trying desparately to appear as Christian as possible. Their latest video, "The Lamb of God," is a dramatization of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It presents a basic orthodox Christian message. They then attach their name, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints," to the end of the presentation, which gives the appearance that Mormons are simply another orthodox Christian church!
"I would have no problem with this...if the whole truth was presented up front - but it's not. Why don't the Mormons say on their video that "we are Mormons who believe that every Mormon member of the priesthood hopes to become a God, rule over a planet and have multiple wives in heaven. Also, Joseph Smith proclaimed in his First Vision that ALL the religions are absolutely wrong and have been for 19 centuries, and Christianity disappeared from the earth; Mormonism is the restored gospel and the only true church. Also, all the people who think they are Christians are corrupt and their creeds are an abomination. By the way, Jesus is the spirit brother of the devil, God has a wife in heaven, has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's, and is not a spirit. The Bible is not the only revelation of God, the Book of Mormon is "ANOTHER" testament of Jesus Christ in these last days.
"These declarations were made by Mormon Prophets Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and others. The truth is that the Mormon church and their missionaries tend to to hide that fact that they really believe these things and act as if they agree with mainline Christianity which they refer to as Protestants or Evangelicals."
19. The LDS Temple Endowment page (this is a good site to go to for additional information on oaths, endowments and other wacky tenets of Mormonism like the Adam-God doctrine, the Oath of Vengance, and Death Penalties) offers this information--
Some Preliminary Information on Mormon Doctrine.
The LDS Church professes to be a restoration of the primitive church established by Jesus. Following his crucifixion, the primitive church is believed to have fallen into a state of apostasy which reigned until 1820, when Joseph Smith, a young man living in New York, was selected by God to be his instrument in bringing forth the "restoration of the fullness of times." This restoration included the power to act in God's name (Priesthood authority), and faithful Mormon Priesthood holders have the power to perform acts with eternal consequences. Priesthood functions include blessing and naming new born children, baptism, confirmation, blessing the sick, and conferring Priesthood authority on others. Shortly before his martyrdom, Joseph Smith introduced several remarkable concepts into Mormonism. One of these was that family ties could survive the grave and that worthy couples who were "sealed" by Priesthood authority could remain married throughout eternity in heaven (the 'Celestial Kingdom'). Another was that there were many Gods, although there is only One True God as far as the inhabitants of the Earth are concerned. God, he revealed, is an exalted man who had lived faithfully on another planet, died, resurrected and now sits enthroned in heaven. Because of his love for us, God provided a way for us, his children, to overcome the consequences of the fall of man (Adam's transgression, which resulted in death for humanity). The redemption of humanity is in part brought about by the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, but one must also assume certain covenants and receive certain Priesthood secrets in order to become a God. This is one of the reasons for building temples."
20. Satan and Jesus are spirit brothers (see Ensign Magazine, Dec 1980, p. 5). Ultimate blasphemy.
21. Satan wanted to redeem mankind! See Pearl of Great Price, Moses 4:1. I have this contemptible book and have read this for myself. Find revealing, hard-to-find Mormon source documentation and other revealing resources at Reason. The Tanner's (former Mormons now Christians) website is at http://www.utlm.org.
22. Blood atonement (murder of members) for certain sins--straight from the horses' mouths. These excerpts came from Saints Alive in Jesus which is an apologetics ministry dealing with Mormonism and Freemasonry. The following in excerpted from a transcript of Dialogue radio programs. They were broadcast daily by Saints Alive throughout Utah and Idaho during the 1980s. You can find the entire article at http://saintsalive.com/mormonism/bloodatonement.htm.
President Grant, in Journal of Discourses (JOD), Volume IV, page 51 of the 1856 edition, says, "And you who have committed sins that cannot be forgiven through baptism, let your blood be shed and let the smoke ascend that incense thereof may come up before God as an atonement for your sins, and that the sinners in Zion may be afraid."
President Grant, in Journal of Discourses (JOD), Volume IV, page 49 of the 1856 edition, says, "I say that there are men and women that I would advise to go to the President immediately and ask him to appoint a committee to attend to their case and then let a place be selected and let that committee shed their blood."
Brigham Young, in Journal of Discourses (JOD), Volume IV, page 53 of the 1856 edition, says, "There are sins that men commit for which they cannot receive forgiveness in this world or in that which is to come, and if they had their eyes open to see their true condition they would be perfectly willing to have their blood spilled upon the ground, that the smoke thereof may ascend to heaven as an offering for their sins. I know when you hear my brethren telling you about cutting people off from the earth you consider it strong doctrine. But, it is to save them, not to destroy them."
Then in another paragraph (same source), "I know that there are transgressors, who, if they knew themselves and the only condition upon which they could obtain forgiveness would beg of their brethren to shed their blood. I'll say further, I have had men come to me and offer their lives to atone for their sins. It is true that the blood of the Son of God was shed for sins through the fall, and those committed by men, yet men can commit sins which it can never remit. "
Again, President Grant on page 50 (same source), "I believe that there are a great many, and if they are covenant breakers, we need a place designated where we can shed their blood. They are a perfect nuisance and I want them cut off and the sooner it is done, the better. We have been trying long enough with these people and I go in for letting the sword of the Almighty be unsheathed, not only in word, but in deed."
Brigham Young, Volume IV, page 219, "All mankind loves themselves and let these principles be known by an individual and he would be glad to have his blood shed. That would be loving themselves even unto an eternal exaltation. Will you love your brothers or sisters likewise when they have committed a sin that cannot be atoned for without the shedding of their blood? Will you love that man and woman well enough to shed their blood? I refer you to plenty of instances where men have been righteously slain in order to atone for their sins. I have known a great many men who have left this church for whom there is no chance whatever for exaltation. But, if their blood had been spilled it would have been better for them. This is loving our neighbor as ourselves (page 220). If he needs help, help him. If he wants his salvation and it's necessary to spill his blood on the earth in order that he may be saved, spill it. That is the way to love mankind."
Heber C. Kimball on page 173 of Volume IV says, "But this people will never, no never, prosper to a high degree until we make a public example of men that have been warned and forewarned. We will take them and slay them before this people."
In Volume X, page 110, Brigham Young says, "Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African or black race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty under the law of God is death on the spot. This will always be so."
In The History of the Church, Joseph Smith, Volume V, page 296, "I replied, I was opposed to hanging even if a man kill another. I will shoot him, or cut off his head, spill his blood on the ground and let the smoke thereof ascend up to God, and if ever I have the privilege of making a law on that subject I will have it so."
Orson Pratt, in The Seer, page 223, "The people in Utah are the only ones in this nation who have taken effectual measures, we will not say to suppress, for the word is entirely inapplicable to them, but to prevent adulteries and criminal connections between the sexes. The punishment in that territory for those crimes is death to both male and female on the spot."
23. A former Mormon says in a radio interview:
"Now here's how we [Mormons] get to heaven: 'Passing the angels who stand as sentinels, being able to give them the key words, the signs, the tokens pertaining to the holy priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation in spite of earth and hell.' This has nothing to do with the shed blood of Jesus Christ, because we don't deal with that in the temple, Jim. We swear blood oaths to obedience, and consecration and sacrifice, and obedience to the law of the priesthood. We must wear an undergarment that has occult markings of an occult talisman on it. We have all the body parts and privates washed, anointed with oil and blessed, but nowhere are we taught the doctrine of the shed blood of Jesus Christ at the cross of Calvary. In fact, I don't really recall it as a part of the temple ordinance anywhere.
"We go into the Lone and Dreary World and we learn secret handshakes, secret signs and penalties, and we learn the words that we have to know, and our secret name, but where are we taught the shed blood of Jesus Christ or the blood atonement doctrine? The only doctrine of blood that we deal with in the Mormon Temple, Jim, is that we'll have our throats slit from ear to ear, or our chest ripped from breast to breast and our heart ripped out, or we'll have our bowels cut open and our intestines spewn upon the ground. What do you think those signs are when you bring your thumb across your throat from ear to ear, friend? It's not talking about the shed blood of Jesus Christ; it's talking about your shed blood."
24. They baptize for the dead. That is why genealogy researchers go to the Mormons for lists of names. They collect them and think that they gain merit for baptizing by proxy for dead people! That's part of what they are doing in those temples! The LDS Endowment Page says this--
Salvation for the Dead: Work by Proxy in the Temples
Mormonism teaches that all people will have an opportunity to accept or reject the restored gospel. After death the deceased enters the "spirit world" where he awaits resurrection at the second coming of Christ. If the deceased is non-Mormon, or never had a fair opportunity to accept the Mormon gospel, the spirits of deceased Mormons are called upon to perform missionary labor. Mormons believe that the spirits of the dead have the same personalities and tendencies as when they were living. Thus, a good man may accept the gospel whereas as evil man may not. In order for the deceased to be worthy of entering heaven he must receive the same ordinances (by proxy) as a living human being. This means that he must be baptized, by proxy, and also be ordained to the Priesthood and receive his endowments and temple marriage. The LDS Church's emphasis on genealogy is to further "temple work" by performing the temple ordinances on as many dead persons as possible.
322 years before Josiah was born, a prophet (unnamed) in I Kings 13 predicted that someday, a man named "Josiah" would come and destroy some altars at Bethel...
348 years later, Josiah came and destroyed some altars in Bethel, and while leaving that area, stopped at a grave, and asked whose it was, the people of that area had passed along that prophecy (for the book of the law had been lost for many years) and they told Josiah of that prophecy...
It showed to Josiah the foreknowledge of God, for God had had that prophecy made, long, long before the birth of Josiah, and Josiah's mother and father did not even know of the prophecy, and Josiah, until he had done so, did not know of it...
The God we worship, does have foreknowledge... And can do such things...
But let me add another story to this one... Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon, and wanted Christians to think that this book was the plan of salvation, and wanted to convince Christians that it was a necessary part of God's plan.
So, he also took the Bible, went to the book of Genesis, and added a verse to chapter 50... It reads: "And that seer I bless... and his name shall be after the name of his father,... for the thing which the Lord shall bring forth by his hand shall bring my people unto salvation." (From Gen. 50:33, Inspired Version by Joseph Smith)
That additional verse was added after Joseph Smith Jr. wrote the book of Mormon, and long, long after Moses wrote the book of Genesis... and claims to be `inspired' of God...
But our God has foreknowledge, and could have had Moses insert that verse, if it were truly of God. That would have been evidence for Mormonism... The readers of Genesis in their version are likely misled to the idea that Moses did write it, and that gives them credence to believe that the Book of Mormon was long ago predicted and meant to come, by God...
The god of Mormonism did not have foreknowledge to know what would happen when Joseph Smith Jr. came, and had to add the verse later, after the heretical addition to the Bible was penned... But... The God of Josiah, knew that Josiah would come, had it prophesied, written down in I Kings 13:1-4. and later fulfilled in II Kings 23:14-18... the story of Josiah shows God's foreknowledge and omniscience... the story of Joseph Smith Jr. shows deceit, adding to the Word of God, and a taking for granted that mankind is gullible and easily misled.... Murjahel from Prophet's Board > Re: God's foreknowledge Posted 7-20-2001 11:34.
The following are from, "Pastor's Perspective" Concerning Mormonism"Pastors' Perspective!" June 1999 Supporting Christian Witness To Mormons Because "some men...are...wanting to change the Gospel of Christ." Galatians 1:7 ---------- 1. Mormons: Their Maximum Heaven 2. Mormons: Heaven-Lite For You 3. Mormons: Heaven-Lite-II For Others ---------- Mormons talk about "returning to Heavenly Father" after death - - and they mean it literally, because they think they lived there long ago - - or they mention their desire for eternal "exaltation." "Going to heaven" is not a Mormon goal, because essentially everyone goes to a heaven. Here's more info. ---------- 1. Mormons are urged to do all the things required for the maximum eternal reward. There are three heavens, called kingdoms, and in the highest (called the celestial kingdom) there are three "heavens or degrees." The top heaven in the top kingdom is called "exaltation," a state in which men become gods and creators and, with their wives, expand their families forever. Each heavenly couple will become everything that the Mormon Heavenly Father and Mother are now. The list of requirements for exaltation is daunting - - and maybe endless; the standard is perfect execution. Exaltation is only a small part of the celestial kingdom. "Valiant" but unexalted Mormons will occupy the rest of the kingdom, plus some from among the dead for whom Mormons perform proxy or vicarious temple rituals. Only in the celestial kingdom will people be with the Mormon Heavenly Father and Mother. When Mormons speak of the "eternal family" or use their slogan, "families are forever," they are speaking of exaltation, not the larger celestial kingdom or a lower kingdom. ----- 2. According to Mormon doctrine, those not quite qualified to be in Heavenly Father's presence can be in Christ's presence in a place called the terrestrial kingdom. This kingdom is for those who are not Mormons but are "upright and honorable," and for Mormons "lukewarm in their devotion to the [Mormon] Church." Often Mormon missionaries will grant graciously that good Christians will inhert the terrestrial kingdom - - but will offer something more, something better: the celestial kingdom, or a chance, even, for exaltation. ----- 3. The telestial kingdom, the lowest heaven, is for essentially all others. Who will be there? The "carnal, sensual, and devilish; who have chosen the vain philosophies of the world rather than accept the testimony of Jesus; who have been liars and thieves, sorcerers and adulterers, blasphemers and murderers." These people will be "servants of the Most High" - - but forbidden to be in the presence of God and Christ. Mormons believe it is a glorious place, nonetheless, surpassing "all mortal understanding." It is not hell, perdition, or a purgatory - - just the permanent degree of glory earned by "most of the adult people who have lived from the day of Adam to the present time." All Mormon heavens are rewards based on the Mormon principle that "no person will add to his position or glory in the hereafter by gaining an unearned blessing." ---------- Mormons often sound better. Grace, atonement, salvation, eternal life - - all are part of the Mormon vocabulary - - and all are subordinated to the principle. Their message: Christ made it possible to earn life in a heaven. ---------- ---------- "Pastors' Perspective!" - - A support ministry of Immanuel Bible Church "Pastors' Perspective!" May 1999 Supporting Christian Witness To Mormons Because "some men...are...wanting to change the Gospel of Christ." Galatians 1:7 ---------- 1. Whelmed By Love 2. "The Blessings Of Eternal Gods" 3. Christ's "Authorized Successor" ---------- 1. Mormons love, and that wins converts. People experience the love of Mormon neighbors, coworkers, and missionaries. Mormons speak of their love for "Heavenly Father" and for "the Lord." Mormon missionaries tell potential converts they love them. Mormon leaders challenge members to love strangers, neighbors, family; to listen; to share; to serve; to forgive. Even Christians may overlook serious doctrinal error when they sense the love of Mormons, reasoning that Mormons say they are Christians, and they love. and Jesus said.... Sure enough, Jesus said, "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." But He also said, "For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them." (John 13:35; Luke 6:32.) Yes: Christians love. Sinners love. And Mormons. Suggestion: When Mormons say they love God or Jesus Christ, the subject becomes God or Jesus Christ, not the love they feel. They may love their God, a perfected mortal man, and their Jesus Christ, sired when God visited Mary bodily; but these two Gods of Mormon faith are foreign to even a broad definition of Christian faith. Warn the whelmed. ----- 2. Here's a quote from Mormon authorities: "Every foundation stone that is laid for a temple, and every temple completed ...invokes and calls down upon us the blessings of eternal gods, and those who reside in their presence" (Mormon president George Q. Cannon, 1877; cited by Mormon apostle Boyd K. Packer, now the senior member of The Twelve, in his 1980 book, The Holy Temple.). The Mormon church is engaged now in a temple-building spree that will double the number of temples, from 50-some to more than 100. Fair questions for Mormons: "Would Christians invoke 'the blessings of eternal gods'? Why do Mormons do it? Are 'the gods' blessing you?" ----- 3. A Sampler: Mormons Promoting Joseph Smith. --IN FEBRUARY a Mormon general authority, John K. Carmack, described Joseph Smith as "the authorized successor to the Savior and His apostles." Reported in Church News, Feb. 20, '99 --WHEN ASKED "What makes [the Mormon] church different from other churches?" a Mormon leader responded, "If Moses were on the earth today, would you be interested in what he had to say? Well, that's our message to the world. There is a prophet of God [successor to Joseph Smith] on the earth today who has the same power and authority that Moses had. God directs His Church through his prophet today, just as He did in Moses' day." After relating that story in his 1993 book, Our Search for Happiness, M. Russell Ballard, currently the seventh-ranking member of The Twelve, wrote, "So, yes, we are different. But it is an important difference...." Christians can agree! Mormonism is different - - in important ways. --"...NO MAN OR WOMAN ...will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith. ...every man or woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith,...a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are." Brigham Young, cited in The Ensign, June '94 ----- Bottom line: --Item 1: Love Mormons. But trust truth. --Item 2: "The Gods" of Mormon religion are compelling reason, and sufficient, for rejecting it. --Item 3: The lionized and revered Joseph Smith (1805-1846) dominates Mormon religion. ---------- "Pastors' Perspective!" - - A support ministry of Immanuel Bible Church